A Social Media Experiment
Live Local #LiveCarroll is an innovative community discount program brought to you by the Mid-Atlantic Gigabit Innovation Collaboratory, Inc. (MAGIC), in partnership with the Carroll County Chamber of Commerce.
While this program is designed to encourage Carroll County residents to experience their community like never before, there is an exciting, first-of-its-kind social media experiment happening behind the scenes. A team of digital media experts and enthusiasts have joined together to provide students a hands-on learning opportunity to create innovative social media marketing strategies and gain a measurable understanding of how social media can be used to market real products and services.
A team of 15 students from McDaniel College have been charged with the task of using Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube to market and sell the Live Local #LiveCarroll community discount program. They will have access to a team of mentors and a modest advertising budget to assist them with their content development and social media marketing efforts. The experiment will challenge them to work together as a team to solve the universal problem that every small business faces when they open their doors - how do I get the word out about my company?
In addition to marketing and selling the Live Local #LiveCarroll merchandise, students will analyze their content strategy, social media stats, and product sales results to evaluate the overall success of their efforts. Their findings will be published in a white paper, which will be presented during a Carroll County Chamber of Commerce luncheon in April 2017.
All proceeds from the sale of Live Local apparel and discount cards will benefit the Mid-Atlantic Gigabit Innovation Collaboratory, Inc. (MAGIC), a 501(c)(3) organization, to fund hands-on technology learning opportunities for Carroll County students and residents.
Community Discount Program Details
Wear the Live Local #LiveCarroll t-shirt or carry the card to receive 10% off your purchase at over 30 participating area retailers, restaurants and service providers. The discount is valid from the day you receive your t-shirt and/or card through June 30, 2017.
The following exclusions and restrictions may apply:
- This discount cannot be combined with other special coupons, deals, or offers.
- Only one discount will be given per party, visit, or transaction.
- If every person in your party is wearing a shirt or carrying a card, that’s still only valid for one 10% discount off your purchase.
- Other restrictions may apply. Please ask the retailer, restaurant or service provider for more details.
- October 17, 2016 - Students will begin planning and coordinating their social media strategy with the help of the experiment mentors.
- October 24, 2016 - Students will kick-off their social media marketing efforts.
- November 18, 2016 - Students will conclude their social media marketing efforts and begin the process of analyzing the results.
- November 26, 2016 - Shop Small Saturday will be the final day for the community to purchase Live Local #Live Carroll products. All orders will be shipped and delivered in time for Christmas.
Questions? Want to get involved?
Please fill out the form below or contact Jason Stambaugh at firstname.lastname@example.org or (410) 861-0474.
Give these folks some love.
Experts and Mentors
- Bernie Vogel, JeannieBird Baking Company
- Tiombe Paige, Cultivated
- Rich Austin, Trembling Giant Marketing
- Steve Lowe, 127 Creative
- Mike McMullin, Carroll County Chamber of Commerce
- Vince Buscemi, McDaniel College
- Josh Ambrose, McDaniel College
- Daniel Schafer, McDaniel College
- Sherry Taylor, Community Media Center
- Stephanie Ciarrocchi, Community Media Center